Sinai Trail Thru Hike
The Sinai Trail is getting ready for the spring thru hiking season of 2023, in which the team will be hiking the first two parts of the Sinai Trail, between the Gulf of Aqaba & the highlands of St Katherine. Sinai Trail Thru Hike: Parts I & II opens in April.
A Journey in Egypt’s Long-Distance Hiking Trail
The Sinai Trail is divided into four separate sections, and the Sinai Trail: Thru Hike 2023 will cover two sections on its journey in two separate parts. The first section is for a 12-day hike from the Gulf of Aqaba to the high mountain town of St. Katherine. The second is a 12-day descent from St. Katherine to the oasis of Ein Kidd.
Participants will walk around 220km on each hike, moving through windswept deserts and high mountains, and climb some of Sinai’s highest and most iconic peaks. Further, the hike will offer locals and tourists an opportunity to experience how Bedouins have always moved in the deserts, walking with caravans of camels and sleeping under the desert stars.
Timing and Location
Sinai Trail Thru Hike: Parts I & II 2023 takes place from April to May. The first part is set for April 8 to 19, while the second part is set for April 20 to May 1. The entire journey will explore most parts of the Sinai Trail, Egypt’s first long-distance hiking trail and a 550 km-long hiking route traversing the Middle East’s greatest wilderness and the territories of eight Bedouin tribes along the way. It specifically starts in Nuweiba and ends at St. Katherine, a city in the South Sinai.
The registration for Sinai Trail: Thru Hike 2023 is open online. But to be accepted, it’s important that you are physically fit, active, and healthy. Message firstname.lastname@example.org to join and include the answers to the questions below in the body of the email:
- Date of Birth
- Mobile number (+ WhatsApp if possible)
- Place of residence
- How often do you exercise/ play sports?
- Hiking experience. Please tell us a bit about your existing hiking experience.
- Fitness. Please tell us a bit about your current lifestyle and level of fitness: how physically fit would you say you are on a scale of 1-5 (5 = the best, a total pro). How regularly do you exercise & what are your favorite activities e.g. walking, jogging, workouts?
- What weight class best describes you from the following: 1. 60-70 kg 2. 70-80 kg 3. 80-90 kg 4. 90-100 kg 5. 100-120 kg 6. 120kg+ ?
- Do you have any health conditions/ injuries that could be relevant on a long remote mountain hike?
- Why do you want to hike the Sinai Trail? Do you have a special goal? Is it the challenge, solitude or adventure? Or the chance of meeting new people or just seeing more of Egypt?
- Please send us a link to your Facebook profile
The registration fee is 28,000 EGP for foreigners outside Egypt and 17,500 EGP for Egyptians and foreigners residing in Egypt. Participants have the option to join one part or both parts of the hike. A deposit of 7,500 EGP is required to confirm your spot to any of the parts, and the remaining balance is payable on-site.
About the Organizer
The Sinai Trail Team is the community organization promoting, maintaining, and handling the Sinai Trail. The hiking team is 100% Bedouin, composed of eight various tribes, including the Awlad Said, Garasha, Sowalha, Hamada, and Alegat. The organization carries a wider Sinai Trail Team that includes men and women from across mainland Egypt and Europe, who add extra skills and strengthen the project in key areas.
For more information about the Sinai Trail: Thru Hike 2023, head to Sinai Trail’s official website and social media pages on Facebook and Instagram. Alternatively, you can send an email to email@example.com.